National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI): NAMI National, NAMI Virginia, Nami Virginia affiliates
The NAMI movement works to raise mental health awareness, provide education and support, and improve the mental health system. These efforts involve three levels of organizational collaboration: NAMI, the NAMI state office, and local NAMI affiliates. As a big NAMI family, our pathways to success are intertwined, and each level has an important role to play. It’s valuable to understand the specific roles that each NAMI entity plays in the collective mental health movement.
Mission: To eradicate mental illnesses and to improve the quality of life of all who are affected by these diseases.
Vision: Building better lives for the millions impacted by mental illness
(This website is available in Arabic, Chinese, English, Filipino, French, German, Hmong, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Lao, Persian, Polish, Punjabi, Russian, Spanish, Thai, and Vietnamese)
Mission: To promote recovery and improve the quality of life of Virginians with serious mental illness through support, education, and advocacy.
Vision: We envision a world free of stigma and discrimination where all people impacted by mental illness get the help, hope, and support they need.
- Offer free peer support, education and outreach programs for individuals with a mental health diagnosis and their families.
- Engage in community education and advocacy to decrease stigma and increase awareness.
- Respond to local HelpLine calls and emails from individuals and families seeking help.
- Advocate at the local, state, and national level to improve policies and funding for the mental health system.
- Usually staffed by dedicated volunteers.
- Located in many communities throughout Virginia.