Getting Ready for When Your Teen Reaches the Age of Majority: A Parent’s Guide
Age of majority is the age when children legally become adults. At this time, they gain the rights of adults, which include the right to vote, marry, apply for a credit card, make medical and financial decisions for themselves, sign contracts, live independently, and much more. In most states the age of majority is age 18.
We invite you to read this tip sheet for parents to learn more about:
- Who decides the age of majority
- The age of majority in your state
- What the transfer of parental rights means for parents, youth with disabilities, and school systems
- Tips for parents
- Concerns about competency: IDEA’s special rule
- What about guardianship and other options?
- Definitions, please!
- Resources and helpful connections