Instructional Strategies in Social Studies: Reading Comprehension
Welcome to our webshop for reading comprehension in social studies. This resource is designed for general and special education social studies teachers who want to support reading comprehension for students in their classes. We’ll discuss why it’s critical to teach reading comprehension in social studies, introduce and model the instructional strategy of reciprocal teaching to try in your classes, and provide links to resources where you can find additional strategies and information.
- Are you Ready? RC.1
- Why Teach Reading Comprehension?
- Reciprocal Teaching: Introduction to the Strategy
- Reciprocal Teaching: The Basics
- Reciprocal Teaching: Examples
- Supporting High-Leverage Practices for Reading Comprehension in Social Studies
- Stop & Jot RC.2
- Special Considerations
- Resources for Social Studies Reading Comprehension
- Pause & Reflect RC.3