This website provides a one-stop-shop for parents, families and caregivers of children with special needs to:
- Access local school system contacts and disability services in your community
- Explore an abundance of resources to help your child succeed.
- Learn about and plan your child's educational program
- Understand your legal rights and responsibilities
The Virginia Department of Education hopes that you find the information you need, whether you are new to special education or looking for the latest news, research, and resources.
Parents and families can make a difference in their child's education.
The Virginia Family Special Education Connection website is funded through the Virginia Department of Education (VDOE). The Virginia Family Special Education Connection is maintained by a team of professionals at the Kellar Institute for Human disAbilities at George Mason University in partnership with VDOE.
Design, Development and Maintenance
The Family Special Education Connection website was developed and is maintained by a team of faculty and staff at George Mason University including:
- Michael Behrmann, Director of the Kellar Institute for Human disAbilities
- Kristine Neuber, AT/Parent Information Technology Coordinator
- Seunghun Ok, TTAC Online Administrator
- Clare Talbert, T/TAC Online Coordinator
- Samit Vartak, Programmer
- Shuangbao Wang, Programmer
- Mary Wilds, Statewide Coordinator for Distance Education
Students enrolled in the Instructional Technology Immersion Master’s Program developed the initial design of the site during the Fall 2010 and Spring 2011 semesters.
Project Professor: Dr. Shahron Williams van Rooij
Immersion Student Team
- Dalia Abdelmeguid
- Colleen Halverson
- Jeff Sears
- Christy Stanley