Responding to the Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) Outbreak through PBIS (March 2020) (Center on PBIS)
One of the key principles of Positive Behavioral Interventions and Supports (PBIS) is to focus on building prosocial skills, not simply attempting to eliminate challenging or problem behavior. We encourage all schools to continue that focus, as well as other key principles of PBIS, as you address the COVID-19 pandemic. The following are a few simple recommendations educators can embed across a continuum of supports.
- Prompt, teach, and reinforce “wash, cover, clean, and maintain distance behaviors.”
- Emphasize respect and sense of community.
- Support and engage families.
- Plan for disruptions.
- Emphasize the continuum of support.
- Maintain health and safety as a priority.