Design to Learn (Develops tools and teaching strategies for children and adults with severe disabilities.)
We are a small staff of researchers and special educators who work for the Oregon Institute on Disability and Development, a program of the Oregon Health & Science University (OHSU) in Portland, Oregon.
- We specialize in developing effective assessment and teaching strategies for children and adults with low-incidence disabilities.
- We have special expertise in addressing the educational needs of children who are deaf-blind and children with autism spectrum disorders.
- Our approaches and materials are very practical in nature and are supported by 25 years of research in real life settings.
- We have conducted extensive research and demonstration projects on the development of communication and cognitive skills in individuals with severe disabilities.
- Our research results and teaching strategies are widely published and presented to national and international audiences.
- Most of our work is funded by grants from the U.S. Department of Education and is conducted in collaboration with public school programs.
Some products are available in Spanish.